Thursday, June 5, 2008

NORTH WEST OR BUST

Jaxson with tears streaming down his face , you can just barley hear the words he utters in between sobs


" Daaaaaaaaaaaad, she is going to make grocery bags out of my shirts"

Dad ( who probably agrees with the heart broken child that, making grocery bags from shirts is ridiculous) calmly says " Jaxson aren't those shirts too small for you?"




Jaxson replies through his tears " yes, but can't we just give them to DI, I really don't want her to make grocery bags out of my shirts"
I am so stunned at my sons reaction that I, for awhile listen in awe, then I burst out in


really LOUD Laughter


( you can imagine how THAT helped the situation)






Here in the Greater Seattle area when you buy groceries the question isn't " paper or plastic" it is " do you NEED a bag today ? " Yup I always feel guilty for saying yes





then the grocer trys to shove as much food into one bag as possible to prevent you from having too many bags.





I am sure some of you are feeling totally irritated, & it isn't even happening to you. I really have a different view on the subject. I am happy to be lightly shoved into the ECO-friendly movement. No matter what your politics I am sure that if you think about it for a minute you too will agree that the amount of plastic bags we use is on the silly side. For what, just to get food to the house. I am sure that one day we will all look back on the plastic bag thing and wonder WHAT WERE WE THINKING !










So..........I made the bags






thank you Martha..... this truly is a "Good Thing"





and now my answer will be


" no thank you, I brought my own"






*** If you don't think I am CRAZY and you want to make your own click here for instructions


On this note
Another "different" thing we have here is our garbage service. Our recycle bin is FREE yup 100% free then you just pay for your general garbage can. Here is the catch they have lots of different sizes ( I didn't know there were different sizes in garbage cans) The thing is it is really expensive to get the big size you know the one size fits all that you get in Utah ( among other places I am sure) so we opted for a small family size remember when you see this WE DON'T have the smallest available. You can see the recycle bin next to the mini garbage bin for a reference the recycle bin is "normal" garbage bin size.

Isn't it cute & if you get all the recyclables you can it is just right for our family
WELCOME TO THE NORTH WEST

4 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of your grocery store bags...that is a great idea. We re-use all our grocery bags so as of right now I don't think I'll try it but it is a very good idea. I would love to be able to have a smaller family garbage can. We only put ours out every other week and it still costs us the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet some day you will catch Jaxson saying to the cashier- " Did you know I used to wear that church"
    Dillon's school recycles the bags and get's school money I think that is a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay so I meant shirt- I must have been thinking of sharing time at the same time- oops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can completely visualize the entire exchange right down to your outburst of laughter. what a cute little can. we need to put ours out twice a week- we're full of garbage. actually we need to pay 60 bucks and get a recycle bin. in this economy i can't pay to be eco friendly at the moment. pretty soon my hubby will make his first million and then it's "free recycling for everyone! It's on us!"

    ReplyDelete