Wednesday, May 20, 2009

THE INCIDENT

expanded version:

We {the kids and I } were enjoying a rainy day playgroup at her house......when all of the sudden shrieks rung out as the boss pulled the wooden toy kitchen down on himself, creating a smallish cut with matching bruise & plenty of scream........when in the midst of this trauma down the stairs came {2} 6 year old informants & the bloody headed Liam explaining that he fell from the top bunk onto something {they weren't sure what}...........so i moved from the boss's minor cut to Liam's fear inducing gaping wound.......she was kind enough to let what was left of my children stay at her home until Angelo could get from work to her home to pick them up..... Liam and I took off to the pediatricians office...........here it gets a bit blurry.....i know there was talk of bone fragments {none to report}...paint fragments {white paint}......a few words about irrigation{ then the performance of this horrifying act}..........maybe a couple of sentences regarding the importance of his wakefulness.........
**BUT what I remember most**
was trying to be brave, so he would
buying ice cream on the way to the peeds office to keep him awake
trying not to vomit, 'cause i was sure i was going to,
trying not to faint, 'cause the nurse was sure i was going to
trying to keep him from seeing it, cause he may never have recovered
trying to let him know i was there & he wasn't alone
trying to hold him still while they did what was necessary
trying to fight the urge to grab my son and run away from all the pain the Dr's healing was causing
trying to bridge the gap between my brain & heart
so I did all that mental work as the nurse and Dr. cleaned, numbed, numbed again, then injected numbing, cleaned again, and at last stitched my little brave boy who
let just a few screams escape
during the numbing injection but otherwise was rather usual
calm cool collected
in other words
typical Liam
three words that will never be used to describe his hyper sensitive...emotional....anxiety ridden Mother...........
well there you have it.....now he has 7 stitches for the next 5 days thereafter a gnarly scar to tell the other little boys about....boys who will respond with adjective like COOL, SWEET, AWESOME, WoW, AMAZING........and he will wear his scar like a badge while i will wear a wound in my heart from it & every time i see it a shiver will rush down my spine i'll slip him a little hug or kiss which will either embarrass or comfort him and we will have survived another adventure TOGETHER ......and that will be that

5 comments:

  1. You were incredibly strong to do that yourself without Angelo. I hope he is alright, and I am sure that his adoration for his mother has grown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great! Luckily I wasn't in town when my boy had stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yucky! I hope he and you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes!! Glad to know he is okay.

    ReplyDelete